Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best UV Sterilizers Reviewed
Ever wondered what kind of living organisms you might pick up from the cash in your wallet, or might be smeared across your cell phone’s screen?
Before you write-off your concerns as paranoia, you might be surprised that most smart phones host about 20 times more bacteria than the average toilet seat.
In fact, one study found that the typical mobile phone hosts over 17,000 bacteria! Now just imagine all the germs we pick up from handling items like car keys, cash, or the gas pump. It’s really quite gross!
Thankfully there is a simple way to clean all those items, and it can all be accomplished while you relax, or watch TV. Today’s best UV sterilizers are designed to sanitize your cell phone, your keys, or any other personal items you might want to clean and disinfect.
UV sterilizers use a specific wavelength of light to kill dangerous microbes, which makes them perfect for your sensitive electronics. Aside from eliminating the potential for moisture damage, harsh chemicals are no longer a point of concern either.
The use of UV light also makes them perfect for sanitizing delicate items, like N95 respirator masks or eye glasses. Basically whatever fits in the UV sterilizer can have 99.9% of viruses and bacteria eliminated in just a few minutes.
We took a close look at popular products from some of the top UV sterilizer manufacturers. You can check out the quick comparison chart below and read our in-depth reviews below where we explain why we chose which products landed our top spots.
Okay, lets check them out!
Top UV Sanitizer Comparison Chart
Best UV Sterilizer
Early UV sanitizers recommended very long overnight cleaning sessions, which meant locking your phone in a box all night. But the 11 minute cleaning cycle on the Evla UV sanitizer makes cleaning during the day super fast. Many of us like our phones accessible at night in case of emergencies, so it makes sense to sterilize them at more convenient times when they’re not needed. You can clean you phone and personal items as many times as needed throughout the day, without waiting until nighttime to have a germ-free phone.
The sanitizer is easily large enough for all smartphone models, as well as larger items like tablets. Some users even place their whole purse inside! While it’s primarily marketed as an all-around UV sterilizer for family use, you can also use this sterilizer on other small items ranging from baby bottles, headphones, and keys.
One downside of the Evla UV sanitizer is that it isn’t conveniently designed for use as a portable option. There are portable UV sterilizer variants that we review coming up shortly, which will be more helpful for those that want to sterilize their belongings on the go.
The Evla UV sanitizer has a lot of certification behind it, making it a popular choice for those looking for a trusted brand. Evla markets this sterilizer with ETL & FCC approval, as well as being BPA, phthalate, and lead free. It also boasts the fact that it’s been clinically proven to destroy 99.9% of germs.
The interior sports a shiny smooth reflective surface that is easy to wipe down with a dry cloth. It also features a smaller supportive rack for suspending smaller items like pacifiers or credit cards.
This UV sterilizer makes it possible to clean so many of your family’s common items. If you are in the market for a user friendly and feature-rich UV sanitizer, we highly recommend giving this model a close look.
- ❤️ LARGE UV STERILIZER BOX – Keep Your FAMILY SECURE and HEALTHY with Our Large UV Sterilizer in Your Own Home
- ❤️ STERILIZES IN JUST 11 MINUTES – Keys, Phones, Credit Cards, Work Passes are Sterilized in Just 11 Minutes – Convenient Drying Cycle Also For Baby Bottles
- ❤️ NO CLEANING OR DESCALING - Unlike Traditional Steam Sterilizers Which Require Daily Cleaning to Prevent Limescale and Rust Forming, Ours Uses Ultraviolet Light and Requires No Cleaning or Descaling
- ❤️ SAVE MONEY & PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT – lower power consumption when compared with traditional steam sterilizers, and no water required!
- ❤️ A FAMILY BRAND YOU CAN ALWAYS TRUST – We are Parents Ourselves and Would Never Compromise on Safety. Our UV Sterilizer is ETL & FCC APPROVED and Doesn’t Contain Any Nasties - BPA, PHTHALATE AND LEAD FREE.
It’s primarily designed as a cell phone cleaner rather than a multi-purpose cleaner. It’s able to accommodate most sizes of phone (so that the whole family can use it to charge up their phones if necessary – although not at the same time of course).
The sanitizer contains a rechargeable battery that is capable of an impressive 70 cycles per charge. This is far higher than many other sanitizers on the market.
Without having to constantly charge it up, you can keep it in your car or briefcase and take it with you wherever you go.
As with the HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer, it’s also very fast at sterilizing. It takes just 30 seconds per side to sanitize your entire phone. This allows you to sanitize your phone quickly and conveniently whenever you have a spare minute. For those of us that like to have constant access to our phones, this can be useful.
You also don’t have to worry about exposure to UV light while using this product. Like the HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Sanitizer, it has a safety lock. This prevents UV light from getting out while the gadget is in operation. This product also boasts that it is chemical and mercury free.
- PORTABLE PROTECTION: Keep your phone clean by utilizing patented pop-up technology and UV-C LED sanitizing. After use conveniently collapse flat to transport between your purse, backpack, suitcase, gym bag and more to kill up to 99.9% of bacteria and viruses
- FULL COVERAGE: With 2 UV-C Germicidal LED's at 70 cycles per charge, completely surround your phone for optimal sanitizing in just 30 seconds per side. Lighting position ensures maximum coverage and effectiveness
- SAFE SANITIZING: Free of mercury and chemicals with an advanced safety lock to prevent UV exposure. Sanitize and disinfect both sides of your item in just 1 minute with rechargeable LED's that last for thousands of uses
- MULTI-USE FUNCTIONALITY: Designed to fit a variety of phone sizes including larger models like Google Pixel 3 and Samsung Galaxy S. A vacation and travel essential or great for use at home or the office
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: 1 HoMedics UV-Clean Portable Phone Sanitizer
Operating it is simple compared to many other sanitizer products – you place the item that you want sanitized into the bag, zip it up and then start the five minute sanitizer session to begin the sterilization process.
There’s no transparent windows on the surface of the bag that could emit UV light when the UV lamp is in operation. So users don’t have to worry about potentially harmful UV light escaping. The bag is well sealed, so there’s no risk of UV-C light leaking out.
The Coospider UV Light Sanitizer Bag is high quality and built to last. Its ‘third generation’ UV LEDs emit pure 253.7nm light. This means that you should get a lot of effective use out of this sterilizer before the LEDs die.
You can use this product to decontaminate everything from glasses to makeup brushes to cellphones.
It’s one of the better all-purpose sanitizers when it comes to cleaning small items – while other sanitizers tend to be built specifically with phones in mind.
- 【 Strong UV-C Light 】 pure 253.7nm wavelength, high transparent quartz UVC lamp long up to 7 inch, really powerful, only needs 10 seconds after turn on, you can smell a obvious special quartz smell in the bag, which means it in work, unlike the weak ultraviolet light by LED beads
- 【 Foldable - Easy to carry 】 USB 5v DC input, safer, can work with power bank, wall charger, computer
- 【 Timer 】 5 minutes once, automatically turn off
- 【 Big Size 】 10.5 × 7.7 × 9.5 inch
- 【 Warranty 】 2 year warranty, 3 months free return from purchase, any problem please contact the service mailbox on the package, we will solve and reply in 24 hours.
Suitable for home use and travel use, out of the box this sanitizer has an appealing look and contains an adapter cord to power the UV-C LEDs. This mid-sized sterilizer is perfect to keep your personal belongings clean while at home or on the move, but you’ll need a power outlet in order to use it.
An advanced safety stop prevents any UV light from leaking out, as the LED’s immediately turn off upon opening. With many health risks associated with UV light exposure, this feature can offer peace of mind for those concerned with the dangers of UV sanitizers.
This gadget also claims to be much faster than other sanitizer on the market, with a 3 minute cleaning cycle. For this reason, it’s potentially one of the best phone cleaners for those living busy schedules. Simply hit the switch and your item should be sterilized in no more than 3 minutes – no need to sterilize your belongings overnight!
While ideal as a phone sanitizer, it can also be used to clean all manner of small personal items ranging from makeup brushes to eyeglasses. A silicone support bracket allows you to keep various shaped items in place while you sanitize them. This allows you to position each item so that it is thoroughly sterilized. Not all ‘box’ sterilizers have this feature.
- [3mins to Disinfect] This device only need 3mins to sanitize your stuff with disinfection rate up to 99.99%.With reflective glass at bottom and a silicone support bracket attached you could disinfect your stuff efficiently and simply
- [Widely Use]8 pieces of UV-C LED bulbs built inside generate 260-280nm ultraviolet wavelength(UV-C beams) to penetrate and disrupt DNA&RNA of germs. The operation would be effective and safe.The sanitization box could be used to disinfect your manicure set,hair salon scissors,dentist tools,baby pacifiers,personal toys,glasses,etc
- [Compact Size]This sanitization box weighs only 14.8oz with size of 8.5*4.1*2.8inch,very easy to store and carry during journey or shows.Interior size is 8*3.5*1.5inch,and suits for most daily or make up stuffs.It can keep your stuffs clear anywhere anytime
- [Certified and Safe]This disinfection box is FCC certified and FDA approved.It will stop if the cover is opened during working for protection.It will also power off automatically after 15hours standby mode
- [Warranty]Our sales team will provide7*24 continuous service for each order and any queries about application or product issue feel free to send us mail anytime
It’s a great tool for using UV light for room disinfection – if you’re staying in a hotel room and want to ensure that the pillows and towels are all free of bacteria, you can simply use this product to give each surface a clean.
At the same time, you can use it to clean smartphones and keys as you would with a UV sterilizer box.
Like other sanitizers, it runs on rechargeable batteries and is easy to transport, making it ideal for avid travelers. You can also use it for home use for making sure kitchen countertops or bedding is sterile (you can practically use it to sterilize anything).
This gadget does present certain safety risks involving UV light exposure that other sanitizers don’t present, however there are a number of safety features to limit these risks.
For instance, when upturned during cleaning, the wand automatically shuts off due to inbuilt smart sensors. If you accidentally drop it, you don’t have to worry about UV light shining up into your face! The manufacturer recommends using protective goggles while using this tool.
The 59S UV Light Sanitizer Wand is also quick to use. Its manufacturers claim that it only takes 59 seconds to 180 seconds to sterilize an item (although to be thorough, you probably want to wait those 180 seconds).
Instructions that come with the product offer information on how far away to hold it and how many times to run it over an item for maximum efficiency.
- 100% OZONE FREE AND CHEMICAL FREE - Powered by 20 x UVC LED, disinfects and eliminates up to 99.9% of germs, viruses and bacteria. No water or chemicals needed.
- FOR HOME, OFFICE & TRAVEL - X5 Disinfection Wand made your life easier with a simple press and scan. Apply directly to surface of sofa, bed, bathtub, towel, mat, carpet, keyboard, mice and more. Enjoy a healthier life with less germs around.
- PORTABLE & EASY TO USE - X5 Disinfection Wand is lightweight and portable with battery inbuilt. It can easily be stored in a hand bag, back pack or luggage. Disinfect whenever needed even while you are on the go!
- SAFETY DESIGN - With its inbuilt smart sensor, X5 Disinfection Wand shuts down automatically when it is over turned during disinfection process.
- High Quality and Durable. 12 months hassle-free warranty. Contact our friendly local service team when needed.EPA Est.No 95175-CHN-1
This video shows just how helpful a UV phone sanitizer is:
What to Look For In A Quality UV Sterilizer
When looking for the best UV sterilizer, it’s important to find a sterilizer that’s right for your specific needs. As the products above demonstrate, different sterilizers come with different features. For instance, some are designed primarily for sterilizing phones at home, while others are designed to sterilize all manner of items on the go.
Certain features like safety and efficiency should always be guaranteed. That said, some models are safer and more efficient than others and this is worth always looking into too.
Below are some of the key features to consider when buying a UV sterilizer.
UV light has been shown to kill 99.9% of bacteria, viruses and fungi. In fact, it’s one of the most effective and quickest forms of sterilization. However, the effectiveness of this depends very much on the type of sterilizer you use and how you use it.
How you position the item you want to sterilize for instance can make an impact. UV sterilizer boxes that have clips that can help to hold items in place so that you can position them correctly. These are likely to be better at sterilizing different-shaped items than boxes without clips. As for handheld sanitizers, it’s important to follow instructions as to how to position the sanitizer wand itself.
Some sterilizers claim to clean more quickly than others. The quickest are able to sterilize an item in a minute, while others recommend spending at least five minutes sterilizing items. When it comes to convenience, this could be worth considering.
It’s worth noting that dirtier items are likely to take longer to sterilize. UV light does not remove residue, so make sure to clean any residue off before using an UV sterilizer.
UV light can penetrate human skin and cause serious damage. It’s important to therefore take safety features into account when choosing a model of sterilizer.
UV sterilizer boxes tend to restrict UV light exposure much more than handheld UV sterilizers. Such boxes may come with locks to ensure that they cannot be opened during operation. Handheld sterilizers still tend to have their own safety features, but it’s recommended always wearing protective goggles when using these tools.
Some UV sterilizers may also combine chemicals or mercury for cleaning. Such products may be worth avoiding for those that want to minimize health risks. The majority of products on the market use UV-C light, but there are some products that use far UV light, which is thought to be safer due to a lower wavelength.
You should also consider what items you’re looking to sterilize. Many portable enclosed sanitizers are designed to clean small items like cellphones, keys and earphones. Not all may be roomy enough to accommodate bulkier items like glasses or wallets, so take this into account.
Handheld sanitizers can offer UV light for room disinfection. This makes them ideal for cleaning all kinds of items using UV light from toilet seats to sofas.
Some are designed strictly as phone sanitizers – which may be all you require. In these instances, make sure that the sanitizer fits your model of phone. The best phone cleaner products tend to be able to accommodate all sizes of phone. Those with larger phones may want to research into compatibility just in case.
Rechargeability/Cycles per charge
If you’re looking for a portable UV sanitizer, you may want to consider opting for one with a rechargeable battery so that you don’t have to plug it into the wall every time you need to use it.
Many UV sanitizer boxes that use a rechargeable battery are able to offer multiple cycles on a single charge. It’s worth comparing the cycles per charge if you think you’re going to be using your sterilizer regularly.
When it comes to handheld sanitizers with rechargeable batteries, similarly look into the battery length so that you know how long you can use the sanitizer for.
You don’t want a sanitizer that is going to break after five uses. For this reason, it is also worth researching into the durability and life of the product.
The best sterilizers should have long-lasting bulbs that are able to offer a lot of use. Lower quality UV sterilizers may burn out quickly and getting these bulbs replaced may be tricky.
If you’re taking a sterilizer with you traveling, you don’t want it to fall apart at the slightest knock, so this is worth researching into too. Most products from respectable brands should be fairly robust. Some come with a year’s warranty, so that if they do break you’re guaranteed a free replacement.