Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best TENS Unit Reviews
TENS machines have gathered incredible popularity in recent years, and for good reason. If you are seeking pain relief, or combining your training program with natural muscle stimulation, TENS units can provide you with more strength, endurance, and dramatically reduce pain and recovery times.
There is a huge list of benefits that can come from using TENS units while training or seeking pain relief. There are a lot of these machines on the market which makes it somewhat difficult to find a trustworthy TENS kit.
That’s why Geo EMF brings you our review of the Best TENS machines in 2019.
If you are looking for info on TENS machines or just trying to nail down a dependable kit, we have you covered. Our top TENS machine reviews can take your training program to the next level and relieve those aches and pains naturally.
How you want to use your TENS unit is going to govern which device best suits your needs. Whether you are looking for an addition to your training program or pain relief, take a look through our list of points to consider below. If you want quick answers you can jump down to our TENS Unit comparison chart as well.
Tops TENS Unit Features To Consider
- Increase Strength – More often than not, modern TENS units include programs designed to build strength and endurance. Simply make the right selection and your TENS machine will target certain muscle groups and fiber types while varying stimulation to provide the most benefit. Targeted activation of specific muscle fibers can be a huge boost to your training program and provide visible results.
- Decrease Recovery Time – Delayed onset muscle soreness is like a wet blanket on a good workout. Lactic acid build-up within your muscle tissues causes fatigue and discomfort that can sometimes inhibit your workout for days. TENS stimulators can programmatically address lactic acid build up and delayed onset muscle soreness through recovery programs that cast out toxins and introduce oxygen and supporting nutrients.
- Relieve Pain – Pain relief from chronic conditions can be a tremendous godsend. If you are seeking relief from back or neck pain, or even arthritis or plantar fasciitis, TENS units can address your symptoms and reduce pain from both chronic and acute conditions.
- Stimulate Tissues – All forms of therapy have their strengths as well as weaknesses. Reaching deep tissues to bring about improvements is no easy task, but adding a TENS machine to your overall approach at physical health can be elemental. Some users find that combining popular options like massage and red light therapy can accentuate their benefits when used in sequence with a TENS machine.
- Portable – The best TENS units are small enough to fit in your pocket, so you can benefit from TENS stimulation at home, or while you travel, or any number of other places. Whether you need a tens unit for back pain or for the benefits of electrical muscle stimulation, the small and lightweight nature of TENS allows you to bring it almost anywhere.
Top TENS Machine Comparison
Best TENS Unit
Complete with a TENS bundle kit, the Compex Sport Elite comes with a wide range of extras. Designed to deliver a complete TENS plan, this TENS unit has ten programs; four strength, two for warmups, three for recovery and one straightforward TENS setting. With five levels of progression, users can start on milder settings and work up to higher intensity programs as their muscles recover and increase in strength.
Intended for users who want to improve muscle recovery and increase strength, the Compex Sport Elite 2.0 TENS Kit should speed up muscle recovery and reduce delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) following exercise. By flushing out lactic acid and enabling nutrients and oxygens to be delivered to the muscles, users should notice a significant reduction in discomfort following exertion.
Furthermore, the Compex Sport Elite 2.0 TENS Kit can be used to increase muscle strength, as well as to speed up recovery. Three of the TENS units programs activate Type 11 muscle fibers, which helps to strengthen muscles and improve performance.
Easy to use, the Compex Sport Elite 2.0 TENS Kit is popular with experienced and novice athletes alike. Whilst the unit is specifically designed for post-exertion recovery and increased strength, many users rely on the Compex Sport Elite 2.0 TENS Kit to assist with muscle pain and tenderness which has occurred due to incidents unrelated to sports or exercise.
The TENS setting can deliver localized pain relief, so users with on-going muscle pain can benefit. However, the Compex Sport Elite 2.0 TENS Kit is designed for budding athletes and exercise enthusiasts. Its cross-functionality ensures that it can be used pre and post-exercise sessions, which makes this an ideal option for users who want to incorporate a TENS machine into their training.
- TENS PAIN MANAGEMENT - The Compex TENS program helps to decrease the intensity of pain and increase motion and function. 4 NB of channels
- INCLUDES 10 PROGRAMS (4 Strength, 2 Warmup, 3 Recovery, 1 TENS) - Features 10 essential programs with 5 levels of progression that can help build strength, endurance, and battle back against sore muscles
- INCREASE EXPLOSIVE STRENGTH - The Resistance, Strength and Explosive Strength programs are designed to activate fast twitch, Type II muscle fibers (think power and force). By applying Compex technology to your muscles, you can increase explosive strength
- SPEEDY MUSCLE RECOVERY - Utilizing Compex Recovery Programs allows fresh oxygen and nutrients to be delivered to the muscles, helping to flush out lactic acid and prevent those aches and pains from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
Combining both TENS and EMS features, DR-HO’S Pain Relief System contains a staggering 341 stimulation techniques, so you can find the perfect program to relieve your pain and discomfort. When it comes to TENS unit reviews, DR-HO’S system is popular amongst its users, with many people reporting effective pain relief following use.
Also available in a basic format, the Ultimate package ensures users have everything they need for long-term use of the unit. With twenty small, four large and two-foot massage pads, these types of TENS machines can be used to alleviate pain almost anywhere in the body. In addition to this, users will benefit from DR-HO’S Therapy and Support Band, instruction manual, pad placement chart and spray bottle.
Appropriate for chronic and acute conditions, the manufacturers claim that DR-HO’S Pain Relief System TENS Unit has been scientifically proven to increase tissue oxygenation, significantly reduce muscle spasms and minimize pain.
However, DR-HO’S Pain Relief System doesn’t only offer pain reduction via TENS. The unit also delivers EMS and unique Auto-Modulating pain relieving waves. The TENS meaning, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, confirms that TENS units work by stimulating the nerves under the skin, with the aim of reducing pain signals being transmitted to the brain.
In contrast, EMS, or electrical muscle stimulation, works by delivering electrical impulses to the muscles and causing them to contract. When this happens, the fibers within the muscle tissue contract as if they’re being instructed to do so by the brain, although it’s really the electrical impulse delivered by the EMS unit which is causing the action. With the muscles activated, the intensity of the impulses, rate of impulses and duration of the session will enable additional fibers to be cultivated, thus increasing muscle strength.
Ideal for use by athletes or patients who are aiming to educate and strengthen their muscles following an injury, the EMS features ensure that DR-HO’S Pain Relief System offers a range of effective pain relieving and muscle strengthening options.
- Excellent drug-free pain relief solution to significantly reduce pain. Clinically tested to improve local blood circulation, decrease muscle tension, and significantly relieve pain.
- Aids in pain relief for chronic and acute ailments such as back pain, leg pain, neck pain, arthritis, knee pain, foot pain, and many more painful conditions.
- Powered by DR-HO'S AMP Technology containing 341 different stimulation techniques within 3 different modes for you to choose from - treat yourself to a deep vigorous massage-like feel or a gentle and calming massage-like feel. AMP Technology randomly changes the stimulation every few seconds so that you receive positive results every time you use DR-HO'S.
- Disclaimer: DR-HO’S Pain Relief System is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you suffer from any pain or health conditions, you should consult with your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. DR-HO’S Pain Relief System is safe for use for people on medication, and to use after metal knee or hip replacement. Please consult your doctor if you have further concerns. Please consult instructional manual for complete warnings and instructions before using this device.
- DR-HO’S Pain Relief System and any other electronic stimulators should NOT be used by patients with the following conditions: Pacemakers, defibrillators or extreme cardiac irregularities, metal implants or electronic auxiliary devices, abnormally high blood pressure, a tendency toward internal bleeding, epilepsy or pregnant women. Any questions or concerns, please ask your doctor before use.
Here is a great video showing how to use a TENS unit for back pain:
Despite its compact size, the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro machine still packs a punch. Delivering both EMS and TENS functionality, the HiDow unit is a great choice for users who want to minimize pain and discomfort, and improve muscle strength and endurance. According to the TENS machine reviews, this Micro unit is true to its name; with a wealth of features bursting from this pocket-sized device.
A backlit LCD display and eight different modes ensure the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro has enough variations to fulfill user’s needs, but the device itself remains compact and lightweight. Featuring a set of hand-shaped pads and a set of small, oval pads, as well as two electrode wires, instruction manual, and pad holder, the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro comes with everything you need to get started. You’ll also get an AC/DC adapter, which can be used as a travel charger, and a handy USB cable.
Easy to recharge, the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro is designed for use on the go. Whilst it’s perfect for people who travel a lot, it’s also ideal for users who want to make use of its pain-relieving and muscle-enhancing features when they’re out and about. Whether you’re at the gym, at work or even out for coffee, the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro offer discreet functionality and powerful results.
Whilst the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro may be small, you won’t miss out on features if you opt for this compact unit. Combining TENS and EMS functionality, the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro uses a range of pulses to ensure the body consistently responds to the impulses it receives. Furthermore, the variable timer settings, pre-programmed massage settings and twenty levels of strength and intensity, mean the HiDow Tens Unit AcuXP Micro is perfect for all types of users.
- Hi-Dow Tens / EMS Tens Unit Pain Relief & Muscle Performance device by blocking the pain signal from nerves, but also can help toning, firming and improving the strength of the gluteal muscles.
- Relieve aches and pains using this pocket-sized fighter featuring two adjustable output channels and eight modes. With its eight different massage modes, you can soothe your tense muscles in a matter of minutes.
- HiDow Tens device sends multiple preset electrical Pulses waves through the electrodes. The waves stimulate the combination of deep tissue pain relief techniques and various muscle movements, relieving muscle tension; this unit is lightweight and portable, you can stimulate nerves, muscles and relax your body anytime anywhere
Compatible with the HealthmateForever TENS Wireless Kit WI-9, the TENS Unit Pro15AB delivers exceptional functionality. With a dedicated Mode 10 Body Building setting, this TENS machine offers effective pain relief, as well as muscle firming and toning. Isolated AB channels, a user-friendly, backlit LCD display and 15 different modes ensure all users can benefit from using the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB.
As well as twenty different intensity settings, the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB mimics various therapeutic massages, meaning you can recreate the sensation and effects of acupuncture, cupping, TuiNa and tapping. Perfect for users who enjoy using complementary therapies, these modes enhance the effectiveness of the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB and provide additional health benefits.
Of course, the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB is adept at delivering pain relief via transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). For users with acute pain or chronic illnesses, this portable device provides an effective alternative to medication, and can even be used to supplement conventional treatments. Bringing together Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and Western technology, the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB prides itself on encompassing a range of treatments and philosophies.
For users, the range of modes and massage options has proved to be extremely popular. On the whole, TENS machine reviews for the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB are overwhelmingly positive, with many people reporting long-term pain relief with use of the Pro15AB.
As well as offering an easy-to-use platform, the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB is highly portable due to its size. Along with the device, users will receive two set of self-adhesive pads, two sets of dual lead wires, instruction manual, pads holder and an AC adapter wall charger, as well as a USB cable for easy recharging. For users who want a TENS machine which delivers a wide range of modes and massage options, as well as effective pain relief, the HealthmateForever TENS Unit Pro15AB might be exactly what they’re looking for.
- FDA CLEARED TENS UNIT & TWO OUTPUTS PMS MACHINE WITH WIRELESS ACCESS. 3.75” LCD screen with backlit and pause button. This rechargeable electric TENS units stimulates the sensory nerves and muscles, activate specific natural pain gate mechanism, relax your body and have pain management anytime you feel the need.
- 15 MODES & 20 INTENSITY LEVELS. 15 pre-programmed modes include Tuina (Push & Pull), Acupuncture, Tapping, Guasha (Scraping), Cupping, Shiatus (Finger Press), Pressure, Back Pain 1, Deep Tissue Massage, Body Building, Body Building 2, Foot Modes, Joint Modes, Back Pain 2 and Combination. Adjustable 10-80 minutes timer by pressing the T button, making it ideal for treating any of your muscle groups effectively. No need to set the pulse frequency and duration of each pulse manually anymore
- FDA 510K CLEARED LEADING TENS PADS& INDEPENDENT A/B CHANNELS. Includes various sizes of medical-grade reusable electrodes, these TENS pads are non-irritating, self-stick, pre-gelled and latex-free, which provides excellent self-stick performance. Two individual outputs allow you to massage multiple body parts or two different individuals simultaneously under different modes with different intensities.
- EASY TO CARRY. Enough battery life for up to 20 hours of continuous use with adjustable 10-80 minutes timer. Convenient pocket-sized and dust-proof storage pouch allows you to use it in the office, car or on the go. Relax anytime, anywhere!
- KIT INCLUDES & WARRANTY.1 x Dual Channel TENS Machine, 4 x 3"*1.75" Hands Electrode Pads, 2 x 4"*2" Rectangle Pads, 1 x 13"*1.5" Electrode Pad, 2 x 1.75" *1.25" Electrode Pads, 2 x 2 in 1 Lead Wire Cables, 1 x 4 in 1 Lead Wire Cable, 1 x USB cable, 1 x USB Charger, 1 x User Manual, 1 x Pad Holder. 24-month warranty and local U.S.-based customer service is guaranteed
With a host of positive reviews, the Tenstim Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator is already a hit with consumers. Providing a mix of EMS, TENS and body massage therapy, this Tenstim model is packed full of features. The Tenstim Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator offers eighteen different modes and mimics realistic Chinese massage therapy too. Its large, backlit LCD display ensures it’s easy to switch between programs and monitor performance throughout.
Designed to relax muscles, the Tenstim Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator is reported to deliver fast pain relief and is suitable for users with a range of on-going or acute muscle injuries. With a bonus ear clip for ear vestibular therapy, the Tenstim Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator can also be used to relieve sinus pain and discomfort associated with temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ).
Perfect for traveling or using on the go, this TENS machine is highly portable, although it does lack wireless connectivity. However, its small size and the rechargeable battery means it’s easy to use in any location. Delivered alongside various extras, users will benefit from a set of large pads, a set of extra large pads, instruction manual, ear clip, pad board, electrode wires, AC wall adapter and USB cable, so you’ll have everything you need to get started with the Tenstim Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator straight away.
Whether you’re an athlete who wants to alleviate exercise-related muscle soreness or a user with an on-going injury or health condition, the Tenstim Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator can deliver effective pain relief, as well as relaxing massage modes too.
- PROFESSIONAL PAIN RELIEF COMBO UNIT: This TenStim tens unit muscle stimulator machine offers a combination of TENS, EMS + body massage therapy in one personal device. Micro & interferential current level options are available for migraines & headaches. Safe to be used during labor and childbirth. Relieves stress, tension, deep pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, TMJ, sciatica, bursitis, herniated discs, strokes, back pain management, and other Inflammations due to muscle and bone injuries.
- FDA 510K CLEARED & UPGRADED TECHNOLOGY: All our electro therapy devices are manufactured in a GEP FACILITY, Medical Class II FDA 510K CLEARED & CE APPROVED in EU. This model offers DUAL CHANNELS which operate in 18 unique therapeutic modes and 20 intensity levels. SUPERIOR large LCD DISPLAY & LED backlight. 2 YEAR WARRANTY, register at Tenstim.com.
- DUAL INDEPENDENT CHANNELS: With this professional grade pulse massager you can treat two different body locations simultaneously! There are independent mode controls and separate adjustable speed settings for each of its 2 channels. ADJUSTABLE TIMER: Our TENS unit with timer is set in 10-minute increments and increases to 60 minutes. After time counts down to zero the device shuts off automatically.
- POWERFUL STRENGTH: This best rated model is powered by a Lithium-Ion battery which is RECHARGEABLE with a wall adapter or a USB to Micro USB charger option (Both included). The battery indicator blinks when the battery is low.
- BONUS EAR CLIPS: Bonus ear clips included for auricular therapy, a form of alternative medicine based on the idea that the auricles reflects the entire body. Each unit comes with 3 cords (2 attach to the pads and accessories and 1 for the bonus ear clips). Each cord connects to 2 reusable electrode gel pads. 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEED!